- Open Access
Incidental diagnosis of torsion of a Krukenberg tumor originating from sigmoid colon cancer
© Springer-Verlag 2011
- Received: 16 September 2011
- Accepted: 20 October 2011
- Published: 15 November 2011
- Krukenberg tumor
A Krukenberg tumor refers to gastrointestinal cancer that metastasizes to the ovaries; this tumor was named after Krukenberg, who originally described this pathologic condition of the ovaries in 1896. The prognosis of this tumor is uniformly poor . In the malignant state, the torsion of ovarian tumor is a rare condition because of the adhesions associated with malignant lesions. Two cases of torsion of Krukenberg tumors have been reported so far [2, 3].
Conflicts of interest
The authors report no conflicts of interest. The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of the paper.
- Krukenberg F (1896) Ueber das fibrosarcoma ovarii mucocellulare (carcinomatoses). Arch Gynakol 50:287View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Murakami S, Omi M, Yonemori A et al (2011) A case of emergency operation for pedicle torsion of ovarian tumor during bevacizumab therapy. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 38(1):139–141PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Alwyn JE, Zacharin RF (1963) Pregnancy complicated by torsion of a unilateral Krukenberg tumor. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 41:125–128PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar